A number of online Roulette variations are available at our casino, and American Roulette is one of the most popular. The original game was created in France in the late 17th century and was brought to the US in the 19th century. Casinos in the US added an additional 00 pocket, as well as an Eagle pocket to the wheel in order to increase the house edge in the game. The Eagle pocket was later removed, but the double zero remains, differentiating the American wheel from the other variations of the game, namely European and French Roulette.
The game is physically composed of a Roulette table that depicts the numbers on a wheel and the combinations of bets that can be placed. As you can see while playing at Casino Midas NZ, the wheel contains the numbers 1 through 36 with a single 0 and a double 0 pocket. A small white ball is spin in the opposite direction of the spinning wheel. The aim of the game is to guess the number or group of numbers that the ball will land in.
What’s special about this game?
American Roulette is particularly attractive to the players that prefer the inside betting area rather than the outside betting area, as there are more inside bets due to the additional green zero pocket, and it is also great if part of your strategy is to place an insurance bet. If the ball lands in a green zero pocket of any Roulette variation, all outside bets are lost, so a common strategy is to place chips on a 1 to 1 outside bet, as well as a chip on the green zero(es) as insurance in case the ball lands there. If you place a chip on the single green zero pocket of European or French Roulette, the payout is 35 to 1, but the ball landing there is relatively rare. If you place a chip on the line of both the green zero pockets as the insurance bet in American Roulette, the payout is 17 to 1, which is still a great payout and is more likely to pay out. That’s the main difference that makes the American version truly special for the strategic better.
Bets in American Roulette
There are eleven bets that can be placed in a game. These include six inside bets and five outside bets.
Inside bets include the bets that are placed on the inside section of the table. They include:
- Straight bet – a bet on a single number. You must place your chip on that number on the table.
- Split bet – a bet on two numbers that are adjacent on the roulette table. Place your bet on the line between the two numbers.
- Row bet – a bet on a row of three numbers. Also called a street bet. The bet is placed at the end of the row of numbers.
- Double row bet – also known as a double street bet, this is a bet on the six numbers that make up two adjacent rows. The bet is placed on the line between the two rows.
- Corner bet – a bet on the four numbers in one of the corners of the table. The bet is placed on the intersection of the four numbers.
- Five numbered bet – available only in the American version, it is a bet on the five numbers 00, 0, 1, 2, 3. The bet is placed on the line connecting the 0 and 1.
Outside bets are the bets that are placed on the outside section of the table. These bets include:
- Column bets – a bet on one of the twelve numbers in a column. The bet is placed at the end of the column.
- Dozen bet – a bet on the numbers within one group of a dozen numbers (1-12, 13-24, 25-36). The bet is placed on the box for the dozen you plan to bet on.
- Red/ Black bet – a bet on the ball landing on a red number or a black number. The bet is placed on the red or black box.
- Odds/ Even bet – a bet on the ball landing on an odd number or an even number. The bet is placed on the odd or even box.
- High Low bet – a bet on the ball landing on a low number (1-18) or a high number (19-36). The bet is placed on the box for low numbers or the box for high numbers.
Rules and Strategy
The rules of this game are simple to learn. Players need to place their bets on the roulette table and then start the wheel spinning. Simply sit back and wait for the wheel to come to a stop and for the ball to land in a numbered slot. You will be paid out for any win.
Roulette is a game of chance where past spins have no impact on future spins. This means that no specific strategy can guarantee a win. However, at Casino Midas, we offer New Zealand players the possibility to practice, using the free demo version to get familiar with the game and learn the best practices of risk management. In order to maximize your chances to win and most of all to have great fun, we offer you a brief summary of tips gathered from the best Roulette players. Now you have everything you need… Good luck!