The origins of Blackjack
There is no clear consensus over the exact origins of the game of blackjack, but it is mostly likely derived from the French game of Vingt-en-Un whose first written referral is in a book by Miguel de Cervantes (the well-known author of Don Quixote). That, together, with the Italian game of seven-and-a-half which introduces the concept of going bust, create a game that is similar to the classic game of blackjack that we know. After the French Revolution, blackjack was brought to the US where it became immediately popular. It increased in popularity further when it started to be analysed and strategy books were first published in the 1950s. The game spread around the world and then moved online in the 1990s.
Blackjack Variations Online
When blackjack moved online with the first online casinos in the mid-1990s, it only increased in popularity. Now players from all round the world could enjoy this popular casino game from the comfort of their own home. With blackjack moving online, new and exciting variations of the game were developed, providing variety and diversity for blackjack fans. Many online casinos began to offer a range of these game variations and today many online casinos offer whole suites of blackjack variations.
Blackjack Games at Casino Midas
At Casino Midas New Zealand, we understand that our patrons love blackjack games and we have a whole range of blackjack game options for you to choose from. Each has a slight variation on classic blackjack, while the base of the game remains familiar.
- European Blackjack – The dealer is dealt a single card until the player has completed his turn.
- Blackjack Switch – Players are dealt two blackjack hands and are able to switch the two top cards in an attempt to create better hands.
- Blackjack Surrender – Players are able to surrender their hand.
- Super 21 – Unique rules include the dealer hitting on soft 17, late surrender, a five or more-card hand totalling 21 wins and a six or more card hand totalling less than 20, wins.
- Match Play 21 – Tens are removed from the deck and the highest payout is for a Match Play 21 – a hand of three 7s in the same suit with the dealer’s up-card being a 7.
- Blackjack + Perfect Pairs – The game offers two games in one – classic blackjack with a side bet for a two-card hand of pairs.
Play blackjack and enjoy any of the exciting game variations available at Casino Midas New Zealand!