You can challenge your own thinking through playing blackjack. The game is not about luck – you need to understand blackjack rules and the best strategy behind the game and use these to produce a game with an increased chance to win. At Casino Midas New Zealand we offer a range of blackjack game variations, allowing you to choose the game that best suits you. Here, we will look at basic blackjack rules for a classic game.
Blackjack: what is it about?
It is important to understand how to play blackjack by learning the simple rules of the game (it might seem an obvious consideration but keep in mind also that there are several blackjack variations that might have slightly different rules, so always make sure exactly which game you are playing!). The aim of the game is to try to create a hand that totals 21. Players compete against the dealer only. In order to create your hand, you must understand the values of the cards. Cards 2-10 have their face value; face cards are worth 10 and Ace is worth 1 or 11.
Starting the Game
Place your bet. The dealer will then deal two cards face up to each player and one card face up and one card face down to himself. The players will then each have a turn to play their hand.
Playing your hand
Players must now play their hand. These are the player’s options:
- Insurance – This is a bet against the dealer having blackjack. It can be placed whenever the dealer’s up-card is an Ace. This bet pays out 2 to 1.
- Double Down – Available on your first 2 cards. Players are able to end their turn by doubling their bet and being dealt a single and final card.
- Split – This is only available if your first 2 cards are of equal point value. You can split them into 2 separate hands and play with 2 separate bets.
- Hit – Receive another card.
- Stand – No more cards will be dealt to you. You turn is now over!
Winning the Game
Once the player has completed his turn, the dealer will play. The dealer must play according to the house rules of the casino – stand on a hard 17 or more and hit on a soft 17 or less. The player will win when they achieve:
- Hand total closer to 21 than the dealer without going over
Challenge your Thinking
Blackjack is a challenging game. The rules are simple, but many books have been written on blackjack strategy and systems. In order to play an optimal game, you must not only learn the rules, but learn basic strategy and maybe follow our tips!